Thursday, February 11, 2010

Install OpenOffice 3.2 in Ubuntu!

Today I checked the openoffice.org website to see if OO 3.2 was released yet. I discovered it was, and decided to download and try to install it. I think this is the first time that I've tried to completely remove one installation of OpenOffice in Ubuntu and install another. If you'd like to do the same and check out the new OpenOffice, here are the steps I used:
  1. Choose a mirror site to download an Archive containing the appropriate OpenOffice.org installation for your system
  2. Once you've downloaded the archive, extract it to your directory of choice
  3. Navigate to that directory in your terminal
  4. Now, remove all packages in your system associated with OpenOffice by typing in sudo apt-get remove openoffice*. For some reason this removed alpine from my system. It was easy enough to reinstall alpine and I discovered that none of my settings were lost. Do take note of what your system removes using the previous command
  5. Now, navigate to the DEBS subfolder of your openoffice setup directory
  6. Install all openoffice packages by typing in sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite *deb
  7. Finally, navigate to the dekstop-integration subfolder of the DEBS directory and type in sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite *deb
Now you will have the new stable OpenOffice Suite version 3.2 installed on your Ubuntu system!

1 comment:

  1. I want to install OpenOffice on my laptop, thanks guide download, and install OpenOffice it.

    ReplyDelete