Friday, January 1, 2010

Blog from your HTML Editor and Python

So this is a test of the Python script I made to upload a custom made HTML file to my blog. As I mentioned in my last post, Google has provided its own Python Client Library to the public for connecting to Google's various services. What really confused me at first was the question of where exactly Google stores the pictures you want on your blog when you use the regular Blogger New Post interface. I soon discovered that if you're not linking to a picture that's on another website, any picture you put on your Blogger Blog is actually stored under a Picasa Web Album named after your blog and accessible by your Blogger account username and password. Knowing this, I just had to follow a few simple steps for using the Python Client Library to automatically upload pictures to the user's Picasa Web album (see here).

What I figured out is that if you want to put pictures on your blog post, you don't need to know where they'll be uploaded to. Just link to the pictures on your local hard drive and submit your HTML blog post file to my script. My script then:
  • looks for any local image links
  • uploads those files to your Picasa Web Album
  • gets the URLs of your newly uploaded images
  • Uses those URLs to replace the local path links in your HTML file, and finally
  • Uploads your newly modified HTML file to Blogger!

Also, I noticed that Blogger ignores the header/footer html tags found in all web pages like <html>, </html>, <head>, </head>, <body>, and </body> but retains the newline codes that follow them all. Finally, when Blogger processes <br> tags that are followed by a newline code, it creates two new lines. To fix this using my script, I made it so that the inputted HTML file gets sliced from the end of the first <body> tag to just before the beginning of the </body> tag. As well, it gets rid of all <br> tags, leaving only newline codes in their places. At the moment it's a command line script that I haven't yet tested on Windows. If you'd like to take a stab at using it, download it here. To make life easy, download it to the directory where you're saving your HTML blog post file and just call it from the command line by running python pyBloggerU.py. The program will ask you for the following pieces of information:
  1. The email address associated with your Blogger account
  2. Your Blogger account password
  3. Your Blog title (case insensitive), and finally
  4. Your Blog post title

If you'd like to help me out, I've registered my project in launchpad and you can submit a branch of my code. Go here
if you want to donate your time to help me out :).

And now finally, it's time for me to test out media uploading:



16 comments:

  1. Here yor are expalained Python Information nicely. Please you share this information in future also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed to compose you a very little word to thank you yet again regarding the nice suggestions you’ve contributed here.
    python training in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me ! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful
    python Training institute in Pune
    python Training institute in Chennai
    python Training institute in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete